Monday, July 16, 2012

My camera needs a funeral..... and Quinoa Taco Salad

So I am about to cry as I write this post.....

my 3 year old killed my camera.

It has suffered a very traumatic and torturous death.

Rest in peace my dear friend.

So while I wait to find a new camera, I will be unable to take pictures of my newest projects on the cheap.  So stay tuned in the near future. My dream camera is hopefully on its way.

So for now, I am stealing borrowing pictures from elsewhere.


photo credit here http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/05/quinoa-taco-salad.html

I adapted the recipe from this blog.  We LOVE ourselves some quinoa and especially with some kind of Mexi flair.  This recipe is SUPER cheap and super GOOD FOR YOU and best of all SUPER DELICIOSO!

So here it is folks, QUINOA TACO SALAD in all its glory.  Serves 4-6 people

1 c UNcooked quinoa--not really sure how much it ends up being cooked (need a tip? This will not only save you time but energy{=$$$} and will guarantee you fluffy yummy goodness every time.  Pour 1 c quinoa into a saucpan.  Add 2 c water.  Bring to a full boil for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with fork. Ta-DA! and Done.You can also use a rice cooker, but really I find my method better.)

While quinoa is "standing"CHOP up the following in a large salad serving bowl

2 heads of romaine lettuce--you can also add some spinach and cabbage if you want additional greens
4-5 roma tomatoes
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/4 c (or more) finely chopped cilantro
1/2 red onion
1 large avocado

Then add:
1 c roasted corn (another tip--use frozen corn, pour onto cookie sheet and roast for 6-7 minutes at 400 F)
1 can (or cooked from scratch) black beans, rinsed well. (optional--I have made this with and without beans)

Once quinoa is done, drizzle with olive oil and juice of 2 limes.  Add sea salt to taste.  Toss together.

I serve the quinoa on the side.  If you are plating the food for everyone you can make separate salads by starting with a bed of lettuce and adding the chopped vegetables on the top with the quinoa.  We serve family style so I just make a large salad and serve the quinoa on the side for those who don't want it IN their salad.  You can also add some yummy taco chips or serve in a homemade taco bowl. My kids love all of the variations. My girls love ranch on just about ev.ery.thing. so I make what they call "Spicy Ranch"--very complicated.

Ranch and Tapatio hot sauce to taste. Yum.

We sometimes top with a little cheese.  My favorites are pepperjack or sharp cheddar. Either is delicious.

This salad is perfect without any dressing since it has the olive oil and juice on the quinoa. This is a real winner at our house. The perfect vegetarian meal and also gluten-free. If you have never tried quinoa, this is the perfect dish to try. It is light but filling and SUPER DUPER healthy in every way. A TON of protein--so don't worry about the no meat factor. The quinoa and beans are your iron and protein FILL, not to mention the spinach if you add that in too!

The perfect hot summer day dinner.

Enjoy!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment