Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Music Teacher's Chair- {Antique Chair Makeover}

This chair has been hanging around for about 2 or 3 years now.  I have had different visions of it being a bold color or a fabric that just says LOOK AT ME!  But it wasn't until about 9 months ago that I decided what I wanted to do with her.

She is a real beaut I tell you.  A true antique made by Louis Rastetter & Sons of Fort Wayne, Indiana.  The company began in 1882.  This company made folding chairs during the 1920s to the 1940s.  The company was around until about 40 years ago.  The chairs though still remain in existence.  They truly are amazing quality chairs.  They were made for businesses, churches, cruiseliners...you name it. Apparently they are sought after by collectors. 


This particular one is from the earlier days since the company is stamped into the wood.  The newer chairs had sticker labels on them.  I found this one on Craigslist a few years ago.  I did not have a place for her, but I had decided since it is a music chair, it would be the chair I would use next to the piano to teach my girls lessons.  At the time there wasn't a place next to our piano.  Since moving she she has finally found a home.  Next to the piano.  And now that I have added the extra cushy batting to it, my bum won't be so sore.

So with all of the other color lurking in this room, I decided I wanted her to be neutral. I know, boring. But she is what she is.  I bought the fabric 7 months ago and I FINALLY got her done today. Yea for Grandmas who take half the kids for a sleepover.  And yea for popsicles, sidewalk chalk and bikes that kept the other 2 busy while I worked.  And I finished just in time before the rain. Miracle.

The original chair was stained and had a leather seat.  Somewhere in the process the leather seat was painted TURQUOISE. Imagine my surprise when I took off the nasty denim fabric and found MY FAVORITE COLOR. 


If it wasn't in such bad shape, I would be tempted to use the original seat!


I am not sure how you get turquoise leather.  Did they paint it back then? Was this truly original? Or was it later painted?  Oh the stories old furniture could tell.  And then at some point it was painted with a black lacquer.  My husband said it looked fine and why was I painting it!?!? Call me crazy, but I think I like it better...




...NOW.

If you have never reupholstered a seat, it is very easy.  Now a CHEVRON pattern or any other lined pattern, is a wee bit harder.  Only because you have to make sure and line it up PERFECTLY straight.  And when you are working with a curved seat, you are going to have to accomodate--as you can see my left corner is less than perfect, but close enough.

The chair was painted with my version of Homemade Chalk Paint (similar to Annie Sloan's expensive stuff).  I used leftover paint from my bedroom.  It is Valspar brand from Lowe's.  I color matched a color from Wal-Mart's Better Homes and Gardens line called Driftwood.  This is my all time favorite gray.  And my fabric matched perfectly.   You would have thought I color matched the fabric! FABULOUS.

I used Annie Sloan's Clear Wax to finish it off.  I used some dark wax (AS as well) but decided I didn't like it on this piece.  So it was used very minimally.

So now my favorite chair in the house finally has a home.

1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! The chevron pattern is fabulous. The color is fabulous. And I just found another reason to like you...we have the same favorite color. :0) What do you think about painting my piano turquoise??

    ReplyDelete